Volunteer Center Launches www.iHelpChattanooga.org
Where Nonprofits and Volunteers Can Meet to Change the World
United Way’s Volunteer Center wants to make it easier for volunteers and nonprofits to find each other based on interests, skills and mutual attraction. And they’re hoping the new technology they are using can do just that.
The Volunteer Center is utilizing new technology from the HandsOn Network to better serve this area’s volunteers and nonprofit organizations. This involves the launching of a new Volunteer Center website (www.iHelpChattanooga.org)and developing new communication channels to reach those who want to help.
Recently United Way of Greater Chattanooga added the SMS Volunteer Team application to www.LiveUnitedChattanooga.org. Potential volunteers can register their cell phone numbers and be notified by SMS text when a job that meets their interests in one of three areas – Education, Disaster Services, or Basic Community Needs – becomes available. United Way’s website uses a secure data capture system and adheres to a strict policy of never sharing volunteers’ or donors’ information with any other parties under any circumstances.
The system seems to be working. During the recent storms, approximately 50 volunteers were notified and matched with available disaster recovery volunteer positions through the SMS system and iHelpChattanooga.org.
For more information on how to volunteer or on how to become an iHelpChattanooga.org partner, visit www.iHelpChattanooga.org, contact United Way’s Volunteer Center at (423) 752-0316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
iHelpChattanooga.org has many different features designed to help volunteers and nonprofits find that perfect match:
- Supports all activities of United Way’s Volunteer Center (a HandsOn Action Center): recruitment, orientation, training, placement, follow-up, feedback surveys and special events.
- Manages public and private volunteer opportunities.
- Allows volunteers to filter and search all opportunities locally or nationally by skills or interests, or date (using a calendar feature).
- Automates signup and approval processes.
- Restricts signups based on parameters (like background checks).
- Links to social media, allowing volunteers and nonprofits to post on Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.
- Provides volunteer profiles, photos and civic transcripts.
- Permits emailing of targeted campaign messages to volunteers.
- Manages parental permissions and waivers.
Volunteer Opportunity Management
- Lets volunteers enter their skills and availability to more quickly match needs and interests.
- Supports approval process for volunteers.
- Manages sign-up restrictions.
- Wait-lists volunteers when a project is full.
- Supports service opportunities, training, volunteer recognition, special events and other activities.
Volunteer Team Management
- Allows the creation of teams for corporations, neighborhood groups, etc.
- Supports signups for public and private teams.
Special Event Management
- Groups opportunities by event.
- Makes aggregated reporting possible.
- Makes auto-generated communications easy.
- Allows a company to sign up and organize its own employees.
Volunteer Administration Tools
- Permits online registration and approval of nonprofit partners.
- Permits custom reports, templates and dashboards.
- Provides document storage and management.