Celebrate Read Across Chattanooga, February 26 to March 2
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book to read to a child.”
United Way of Greater Chattanooga is celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday by encouraging kids to get excited about reading. It's all part of Read Across Chattanooga, a local celebration of the National Education Association's "Read Across America" week.
February 26 through March 2, United Way will hold reading events at the Center Stage in Hamilton Place Mall.
Tuesday, February 26, through Friday, March 1, there will be a book reading from 6 to 7 p.m. each evening, along with a visit from the Cat in the Hat, free book enrollments and a book-related literacy activity for kids and their parents to enjoy. Local celebrities will be on hand to help with readings all week.
Readers will be sharing their favorite books from Dr. Seuss's library of work. Bring your children to hear one of their favorites, or maybe reminisce while listening to your favorite story from your childhood. A few scheduled readers at this time are Andy Berke, Rabbit Zielke, Fire Chief Randy Parker, Angela Ballard, James Howard and Kim Carson.
The week will culminate on Saturday, March 2, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., with a birthday party to honor Dr. Seuss. There will be snacks, book readings, activities, one free Dr. Seuss book to each of the first 500 children to visit on Saturday (while supplies last), a visit from the Cat in the Hat, and we’ll sing happy birthday to Dr. Seuss.
From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday March 2, children can complete a learning checkup at the Play Area in the Mall. Families can also earn a voucher to redeem for a free family pass to the Creative Discovery Museum for children who receive a learning check-up. Vouchers will be delivered by mail after the checkup is completed and received by United Way of Greater Chattanooga.
This event is sponsored by Hamilton Place Mall, WTCI TV 45 PBS, WDEF TV 12, the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Sunny 92.3 FM, and the Great American Cookie Co. United Way is partnering with WTCI 45, Hamilton Place, Chick-fil-A, the Chattanooga Bicentennial Library, and Creative Discovery Museum to host the event and provide literacy activities for children.
Read Across Chattanooga Event Calendar
- Tues., Feb. 26, 6 to 7 p.m.: Celebrity reading by Rabbit Zielke (the bookmark fairy) at Center Stage, a visit from the Cat in the Hat, and free book enrollments. WTCI TV 45 will be present with book-related activities and the book of the day is Horton Hears a Who.
- Wed., Feb. 27: 6 to 7 p.m.: Celebrity reading by Kim Carson at Center Stage, a visit from the Cat in the Hat and free book enrollments. The Chattanooga Public Library will be present with book-related activities and the book of the day is The Lorax.
- Thurs., Feb 28: 6 to 7 p.m.: celebrity reading by James Howard at Center Stage, a visit from the Cat in the Hat, and free book enrollments. Chick-fil-A will be present with book-related activities and the book of the Day is Oh The Places You’ll Go.
- Fri., Mar. 1: 6 to 7 p.m.: celebrity reading by Angela Ballard at Center Stage, a visit from the Cat in the Hat, and free book enrollments. Creative Discovery Museum will be present with book-related activities and the book of the Day is There's a Wocket in my Pocket.
- Sat., Mar. 2: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: snacks, celebrity story time at Center Stage with Andy Berke and others, a visit from the Cat in the Hat, free book enrollments, kids sing Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss, a visit from the bookmark fairy, arts & crafts, learning checkups from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and one free Dr. Seuss book to the first 500 children to visit on Saturday (while supplies last). The books of the day are The Cat in the Hat and others from the Dr. Seuss library.