Getting children ready for success in school and life
Successful children are critical to the future of our community. A child who starts school with the skills they need to succeed is more likely to graduate and become a successful and productive adult, and that's good for everyone! Project Ready for School works to ensure that every child enters school with the skills necessary to be successful. Particpants in the program have access to free services:
- A free, high-quality, book in the mail each month to children under five: Why? To encourage parents and caregivers to read to their child. It's the best thing you can do to prepare a child for success in school.
- Learning Checkups: Free Ages & Stages developmental assesments from Project Ready for School are an easy way to help assure that your child's early development is on-track. As a bonus, parents who complete a Learning Checkup for their child receive a free family pass to the Creative Discovery Museum! Get your child's Learning Checkup started by calling 752-0302.
Project Ready for School progress:
- Imagination Library enrollment has grown to more than 18,000 children in the five-county area (Hamilton, Marion in TN; Catoosa, Dade & Walker in GA)
- Approximately 1 million books have been mailed to children in the five-county area.
- More than 2,200 children received developmental screenings in 2011. Parents of 13% of those children received information for further assessment.
- 59% of parents surveyed read five times or more to their child.
- 85% of children screened who completed preschool at a United Way-funded program had strong literacy skills necessary to learn to read and write.
- More than 600 people attended parent education sessions in 2011, which totaled more than 2,300 hours of parent education.
- Children in United Way programs are making significant progress in all areas of development.
ENROLL MY CHILD IN PROJECT READY FOR SCHOOL!
© United Way of Greater Chattanooga | 630 Market Street | Chattanooga, TN 37405 | 423.752.0300